Latest posts by Gina Post-Franco (see all)
- Smart Home Apprehension is Real. Here’s How to Avoid It - June 30, 2020
- 3 Ways to Keep Your Neighborhood Safer - June 23, 2020
- Safety Technology for Aging Loved Ones - June 23, 2020
The summer season is a great time to take on those home improvement projects you’ve been putting off since the beginning of the year. But if you’ve been spending more time at home this spring due to current events, you may have finished all the items on your list early. Here’s a new idea: Give your home security an annual tune-up. This is a simple project you can complete in a single weekend, and it’s well worth the time. Here’s what it involves.
Creating a household emergency plan.
If a there was a fire, break-in or major earthquake, would everyone in your family know what to do? By creating a household emergency plan, you can make sure they will. An emergency plan should include the:
- Place the family will meet during the emergency.
- Indoor and outdoor routes to get there safety.
- Role and responsibility for each family member.
- Ways to navigate any smoke, fire or hazards while escaping the home.
After creating the emergency plan, do a fewer practice runs to make sure everyone understands. This is an activity where both parents and children can learn together.
Enhancing your yard for home security.
The ideal weather makes right now the perfect time for landscaping. Fortunately, some of those outdoor chores can double as home security tune-up tasks.
Some to-do items include:
- Adding a doorbell camera to capture all visitors, welcome and unwelcome.
- Making sure your windows are impenetrable from the outside.
- Examining your bushes and hedges to be sure intruders can’t hide behind them.
These are things you can do during your regular weekend landscaping routine, and they are every bit as rewarding as yard maintenance.
Assessing your home security technology.
As home security systems age, their technology becomes obsolete. If it’s been more than five years since your system was installed, it’s time to bring it up to date. In 2020, an efficient home security system should include:
- 24/7 alarm monitoring service from a dedicated, local central station.
- Easy integration with other technologies, such as cameras and virtual assistant devices.
- On-demand control from your smartphone, made possible by an easy-to-use mobile app.
This assessment should help you determine what needs to be updated or added onto your system. If you have questions about what’s possible, please feel free to give us a call.
These are some fast, effective ways to tune-up your home security this summer. To learn more about any of the technologies here, contact Post Alarm Systems. We will be glad to assist you.
About Post Alarm Systems
To learn more about Southern California security technology, come see us at Post Alarm Systems. Our highly qualified and experienced home security experts can answer all your questions. Call us today at 1-800-654-7678.